Sunday 23 March 2014

In good company...

George Shaw lithograph

I delivered a small painting to my friend, Philip Adams today who had bought ‘Study For Black Highway’ at my recent exhibition at Nuneaton Museum and Art Gallery. Now retired, Philip and I had become friends whilst working alongside each other at Halesowen College for several years. We got on from our shared passion for art and our shared values in art education, and over the years have had long conversations about both. I miss working with him, and I was delighted when he came to the Private View, and obviously really pleased that he wanted to buy a piece. Not least because Philip has a really impressive personal art collection, which includes paintings, prints and drawings by such names as Terry Frost, Anthony Gormley, John Salt, Barbara Hepworth, and a recent purchase of a lovely George Shaw lithograph.  I’m really chuffed to think that my own modest painting will be rubbing shoulders with such great company.  
'Philip', oil on canvas, 90 x 60cms, 2002
'Philip', oil on canvas, 90 x 60cms, 2005
These are two paintings I made of Philip from the same drawing I made of him in the old office at the College. The paintings were made about three years apart, and I’ve always been pleased with them. 


No comments: