Wednesday 28 December 2011

...Under The Bridge

'Stolen Car', pastel on paper, A4 size

I’ve been working on some small chalk pastel drawings in the last couple of weeks before Christmas. I’ve been trying to looking at colour more in these motorway studies, and am fascinated by the illumination of the surrounding area by the sodium light permeating from the M5 above. The contrast between the hard, black concrete shapes and the softness of the trees and bushes is interesting to explore. These pastels also serve as a bit more of a ‘bridge’ in my preparation to try and attempt a large oil painting based on these drawings I’ve been making. I have a canvas stretched and primed to start on in the next few days. I feel really nervous about it.

'Stolen Car', pastel on paper, A4 size

'Stolen Car', pastel on paper, A4 size

These pastels seem an apt end to 2011. These are dark and troubling times to be living in. So much of my year has ben spent in a state of anger and anxiety at the sweeping changes being made by this terrible and dangerous government across the country. I can't help but feel that these images reflect something of my state of mind as I enter 2012

No comments: