Wednesday 31 August 2011

Lost In The Supermarket

I completed this small portrait painting above the other evening. ‘Ivan’ is only 24 x 20cms in size and is therefore very small compared to most portraits that I do. Thinking about it, I think it is the smallest portrait painting I have yet done on canvas. I also painted the two small landscapes below, which are an extension of my last larger piece of the motorway lights and trees. They are only 20cms x 20cms.

Strangely, I was prompted to do them by a trip to the supermarket where they now seem to be selling artist’s materials. This included these small blank canvasses, which were cheap but of a decent quality, by Daler Rowney, so I put them in my trolley next to my beers.

I’ve been toying with the idea of trying some portraits on a more intimate scale since my stint at the JCC Art Fair painting those small oil portraits. They didn’t take too long to do either because of the modest scale, and provided a bit of respite from a grant application I’m currently working on. In recent weeks I’ve been working with freelance Arts Consultant, Angela Swan, who is helping me put together an application for some funding to hopefully develop my landscape work further in the next couple of years. It’s been really exciting but also time consuming. I’ve needed to make it a priority over my studio time and still have a lot to do. But even so…I still can’t help finding myself turning the key and stealing some time in there…

No comments: