Thursday 22 July 2010

'Anwar'


...and this is Anwar, who posed for me earlier today. This is at my request. Anwar is another student at JCC who is from Etritia. He is a big bear of a guy with a very sculptural and complex face.

I found this drawing much more difficult, and I'm not sure about it at this stage. I think I overworked it, but I think I can develop it further in another study, perhaps in charcoal. When drawing from observation the sitters head tends to move a little over time. This can be seen in this drawing, where the planes of the face appear a little flattened and distorted as the angle of the head has shifted slightly. And yet Anwar has a very unusual face, which is why I was keen to draw him which I need to remember. You see these faces everyday, but you don't 'look' in the same way that a drawing forces you to do. I'd like to think a large painting can be made of Anwar, but I think there is alot of work to do beforehand to develop this study. I'll pin it on the studio wall, and live with it a while...

No comments: