Sunday 20 June 2010

'Up There'


A friend sent me a great link to this short film by The Ritual Project the other day. It shows the work of Sky High Murals (above). A group of craftsmen dedicated to their trade, the Sky High painters are some of the last purveyors of the hand-painted advertising tradition. Many of the painters can be seen in the film, ‘UP THERE,’ a documentary about the fading craft of wall painting.

Whenever I’ve visited New York I’ve always been fascinated by these huge advertising paintings on the sides of the buildings, wondering who they were made by and curious that such a seemingly antiquated tradition still seemed to persist in these days of modern advertising hoardings. I wonder if they have any jobs going….? I'm handy with a big brush.


Here's the link:
http://vimeo.com/11175747

No comments: