Friday 5 March 2010

Autumn to Winter...To Spring

If anyone follows this blog, you may remember last November that I said I was working on some new paintings loosely based around the theme 'Autumn to Winter'. Well, with the beautiful crocusses opening in my garden this week signalling the start of Spring, I thought I'd stop at this point and reflect and share the paintings I've since made.

It seems a good point to stop for a while. As you can see, the paintings are pretty varied as I've tried new things, seeking possible more coherent directions for the work. I've been most excited with the landscapes and still lives. The landscapes are not on as firm a footing as I would like though, and I've been painting quite a bit outdoors on small studies to try and address more successfully some of the things I think aren't working as well. It's all pretty new territory really, but I'm enjoying getting to grips with it. I'll try and share some of these studies soon too...Anyway, below are the seven paintings I've made over the last four months


Alan,
oil on canvas, 90 x 60cms, 2009

November,
oil on canvas, 120 x 100cms, 2009

Three Flowers,
oil on canvas, 150 x 120cms, 2009

Sam,
oil on canvas, 90 x 60cms, 2010

Winter Painting,
oil on canvas, 90 x 110cms, 2010

Branches and Leaves
oil on canvas, 60 x 120cms
Stop Pause Rewind
oil on canvas, 102 x 142cms, 2010


I only did this last painting on Monday, but I think it's the most interesting one so far. I think it's certainly the most original (with originality not being one of my strong points). As ever comments are always welcome (just not very forthcoming!).

No comments: